Thursday 2 August 2012

The tank - new Olympic event?

Foreman supervising operations!
 The new oil tank arrived at half past two on Friday afternoon so it was all hands to the pumps (literally) to get it installed before the Olympic opening ceremony.  Thankfully Rob, the farmer who lives next door lent me the use of his Manitou fork lift truck, so after doing all the new oil fittings on the tank it was just a case of lifting it over the fence and then filling it up.  The good thing about this was I got to play with big toys in typical man fashion!

Thanks for the loan of the fork lift Rob!
Filling was simply a case of lifting the temporary tanks above the new ones and letting gravity do it's thing.  The new tank had a capacity of 2500 Litres and unfortunately we had 2700 Litres to get into  it so ended up a couple of hundred litres staying in the tank until some has been used to make room for it.

All done and dusted showered and tea on the go while watching the opening ceremony which was fantastic, well done Team GB.
The €10 outboard all up and running.

Next thing on the agenda was to get around to making my "bargain buy" outboard motor go.  I got it all stripped down in the garage, cleaned everything up and on the third pull it fired.  I then stuck it in a bucket of water before starting it properly to make sure it kept cool.  I must be a tad green I think because I ended up with water all over the place.  Fortunately Sandra was out so I got it all cleaned up before she returned  - phew....  Outside the garage I have a wheely bin which collects rainwater, so I fastened the outboard to the side of that and cranked her up again and it ran like a dream.  Pity that the bottom of the bin was full of detritus which comes out of the gutters, leaves etc, so I couldn't run it for too long in case it blocked all the cooling channels.  All in all I'm very chuffed that my €10 bargain works so well!

2 comments:

  1. Inside the garage, it looks like the man has a plan, a pack of Golden Virginia, a hammer and a chisel. Who said the technological age was with us?

    A great blog from beginning to end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Malc. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. I love messing about with things and it's one of the things I miss, not having my workshop out in Greece.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.