Thursday 30 September 2010

All by myself...

Geoff and Sandra finally set off back to England last Monday. I took them to the ferry at Igoumenitsa bound for Corfu where they caught the flight back to Manchester and arrived safely home for tea! It was a pleasure and a privilege to have Geoff here for three weeks and show him many of the sights of Epirus and Lefkas Island, I'm sure he thoroughly enjoyed the experience which was something totally different for him as prior to this the longest he ever stayed away from home was five days (apart from being in India during the second world war). I think he was beginning to get ready for home though as he had started to mention things as though he was missing them his friend Sonia and brother Ron especially. Anyway Sandra gets back this Sunday flying into Preveza at about 13:30, this means a very early start for her setting off from Yorkshire at about 3 am as it's 2 hours to Manchester and then you have to be there two hours prior to the flight the three and a half hours here, I think she may well be a bit zombied by the time she arrives.

We have had lots of rain this week so far today has been fine though, I took the opportunity to assemble all the flat pack furniture we had brought from England in anticipation of our move to Lefkas. This took a full day! but with the aid of Tree and Mike's trailer it will be easy to transport and I won't have it to think about when we get to Vournikas.

Picture: Our House in the beautiful mountains of Epirus

I had fears of being force fed by Mantha whilst Sandra was in the UK but she has been staying at her daughters house on Lefkas island until last night. However, the inevitable happened today while I was sorting some pictures out to put on George's laptop (a load of oldies I have scanned in for him) she insisted that I stay for something to eat because I must be starving being on my own with no woman to look after me! I insisted that I only wanted a little (just one heaped plateful) of her rizzi and moschari (Rice and Beef) with of course a separate plateful of Salata and psomi (salad and bread). It was very good and much appreciated but to be absolutely fair I'm not quite as useless as people seem to think I am and I can prepare my own food, you don't get a belly like mine by going without food!

Picture: Sunrise from our Balcony, well sky getting lighter we are shielded from the sun for an hour and a half in the morning.

Tomorrow starts the final leg of our time here at Assos as we shall be moving by the end of October, there are many things I shall miss about the place and it's people just a bit of a shame that the house is very cold in winter being devoid of insulation and only with a primitive heating system. We shall be paying regular visits back here though and we will always have something of Assos in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.