Thursday 16 December 2010

Christmas is coming the Waddy's are getting fat(ter)

Well only just over a week to go before the Christmas excesses begin, what tree did I fall out of?  We seem to have been having an excess for several weeks now, we have been eating out a little too regularly really and I'm hoping that it's just the time of year rather than the extraordinary sociability of the Lefkas ex-pat community.

We've just got filled up with oil for the heating, hot water and Stanley (Arga type) cooker at a cost of 77.3 cents per litre (about 65.5p in Brit money) which I think is considerably more expensive than it is at home, I think the last time we filled up at home it was about 50p but then again that would be for 1500 litres rather than the 300 my tank only holds 400) I have got today, but it's still another £200 gone ah well that's the penalty of being out here I suppose.

The Cake!
Sandra managed to get the Christmas cake decorated the other day not with Marzipan and icing as most Christmas cakes are but covered in fruit and nuts and then glazed I think it looks rather appetizing but we've yet to sample it and you should never judge a book by it's cover, however, I'm totally confident it'll be much better than it would have been if I had cooked it!

Sandra took some of her pals around to the recently opened Jumbo store at Louros on Monday for a girlie day out with retail therapy (I think that means spending money!) while Tony and I fitted a sea toilet and cooker into "Izola" in preparation for the race to Paleros the day after boxing day.  Liz and Tony will be spending the night on board her after the Indian meal in Paleros which is the ultimate antidote to Christmas excess.  Sandra and I have been around to Paleros today in the car and booked into the Thalassa Hotel so we can at least get a good nights sleep before the sail back home the next day.

The Christmas tree in the small square Vournikas
Mike and Tree, our long suffering landlords have been fitting radiators into their villa this week so I have been assisting them in their endeavours.  I think it must be getting a little cool on and evening now as they seem to be wearing fleeces most of the time, mind you this morning there was a good covering of snow on the mountains to the north of us albeit a couple of thousand feet higher than we are.  The cold air the Britain got over the last couple of weeks is now fairly well settled over us although not nearly as cold down here.  Currently today is about 8c falling to about 4c overnight.  Next Thursday is forecast as 18c falling to 12c overnight.  Don't think we are in for a white Christmas.
Nativity scene outside a house in the village.
 The Greeks now seem to be getting into the seasonal spirit there are more lights going up in the village although nothing like happens in the UK.  There is however, a couple of really unusual ones which if I remember after dark I will go down and take some pictures of and add them in here.

Oh well I did and here they are, got a few more but no room here for them.
Close up of the nativity

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.